Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Review: Not by Sight by Kate Breslin



Not by Sight

by Kate Breslin

 
 


Received from the publishers Bethany House Publishing through Netgalley for an honest review.



Grace Mabry, determined to help the war effort after seeing her brother go to fight in the trenches, decides to hand out white feathers to conscientious objectors at a party with her maid and friend, Agnes. However, when she hands out a feather to Jack Bennington, she unravels a thread of danger and betrayal that she could never see coming.

Not by Sight is the second novel from the award-winning Kate Breslin, her first being For Such a Time. I have not read her first novel, so this is my first foray into Breslin's Christian fiction.

This book lured me in with a beautiful cover and an intriguing premise - romance, friendship, forgiveness, faith and espionage; what more could a girl want? I have to say I wasn't disappointed while reading, the plot kept me engaged and I finished the novel quite quickly. Breslin gives us flawed characters, hidden agendas and a swoon-worthy lead in a plot that recalls Beauty and the Beast, The Phantom of the Opera and even a little Jane Eyre.

As this is Christian fiction, the subject of faith was an underlying theme throughout the novel; however, I do not think that it was overdone. Throughout Breslin's writing, we see the different characters suffering with types of blindness and the journey some of them are able to take through darkness into the light - to walk by faith and not by sight.

All in all, this was an enjoyable easy read. My only complaint is that sometimes Grace seemed a little too good. I would recommend this to those who enjoyed Julianne Donaldson's Edenbrooke or other Christian historical fiction novels.


Not By Sight is currently available in Kindle Edition and comes out in paperback in the UK on 4 September 2015. It is available in both formats in the US.


No comments:

Post a Comment