Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Top Ten Books I've Read so far in 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

I've decided to do a Top 5 rather than a Top 10 as I've only read 24 books this year so far - on track for my Goodreads goal of 50 this year but it's not really an outstanding total. These books aren't in any particular order as I couldn't bring myself to decide on one
 

 
Still Alice is one of the books I read at the beginning of the year and I absolutely adored it! It is about Alice who has early onset dementia and how her and her family live with that knowledge.
 
 
 
And the Mountains Echoed is another book I read at the start of this year. This was a book club read (though we never actually got round to discussing it and since then book club has ceased to exist!) and I'm really glad that I picked it up. It's heartbreakingly beautiful and I'd recommend it to everyone!
 
 
 
The Well of Ascension is the second in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. This is fantasy at it's best! I was engaged in the plot from start to finish and can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy - once I get round to purchasing it!
 
 
 
 
The Forgotten Garden is a book I read just last month and was a bit of an impulse buy. I loved it. Kate Morton is a masterfully storyteller and the mystery in this book kept me hooked. This book made me fall in love with books and reading all over again. I've since gone on to purchase all of her released novels.
 
 
 
The Chosen Queen is a book I read at the start of this month after winning a copy that the author was running a giveaway for. It's the first in a new historical trilogy about the women behind the battle of 1066. This book focuses on Edyth, the only woman who was ever Queen of England and Queen of Wales. I loved how Joanna Courtney tells Edyth's story and really look forward to the second in the trilogy that comes out later this year. If you like Phillipa Gregory and Elizabeth Chadwick you'll love this book too! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
What have been your favourites this year so far? 

26 comments:

  1. i want to read them all!! i just realized i may have read 5 books in the year,i feel bad because of that
    x,Abril
    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad, at least you are reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Great picks, I haven't read any of these but I keep seeing Still Alice on lists today so I must read that one!!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still Alice is incredible, you should definitely check it out. It made me a little teary, in a good way, and I never cry at books normally.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I was so hesitant to read Still Alice as I thought it would be depressing and scary, but it wasn't at all - I really liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really hesitant about Still Alice but I can completely understand why you were. I know a lot of people that haven't read it because they think it's going to make them cry. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  4. Great list! I've actually read three of these, but not this year. Loved And the Mountains Echoed and The Forgotten Garden. Still Alice was devastatingly sad... haven't been able to bring myself to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! I haven't watched Still Alice yet either; though I'd be interested to see how it translates into film, I'll need to be in the right mind frame to watch it.

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many amazing things about the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I think I may have to read it soon!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mistborn trilogy is amazing, well the two I have read have been! There are plot twists you just don't see coming, which I love. I have other Brandon Sanderson books on my shelves but I refuse to start them until I've read the last Mistborn book.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. i recently read the forgotten garden as well, i really enjoyed it, it just dragged on a wee bit for me. totally with you on still alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them both! The Forgotten Garden is a little on the long side, I agree.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. I love Khaled Hosseini's writing...so beautiful. I haven't read this one yet. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the first Hosseini I've read so I'm planning on buying and reading his others soon!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is sad but I also found it moving - that despite having Alzheimer's she was still herself.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. New follower! Thanks for the recommendations! I've definitely added several to my to-read list! Check out my TTT post this week: https://greenishbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/top-10-tuesday-top-10-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2015/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad there were some books that piqued your interest! Will stop by and check out your list and see if there are any that interest me.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Still Alice looks so interesting! Thanks for all the recommendations. My TBR is getting ever bigger.

    Thanks for sharing my TTT earlier

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still Alice is so great, it's one of the books I've recommended to several members of my family. My TBR is always increasing too!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  11. Great list! :) Everyone seems to be raving about Still Alice...think that shall be the next addition to my TBR list! :)
    If you'd like to see, my list is at http://bmariebooks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2015.html

    Kristi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book and I'm sure that even if you don't love it, it will be a moving read. :)

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. Great list and The Forgotten Garden's cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it really is. The copy I own is pretty beat-up and second hand so I'm thinking of buying a fresh copy soon.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  13. Nice haul! I hope you enjoyed them all :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to more great reads this year! :)

      Delete